HOMES FOR ALL!
Province -Wide STAND for Housing
Saturday, May 3, 1:00-2:00 pm
Will you STAND WITH US in your community?
Homelessness – a crisis in our province:
* More than 10,000 homeless people in our province.
* Affordable rental housing disappears while land prices soar and land speculation increases in every community in BC.
* No federal social housing program since 1993.
* Welfare rates do not meet basic needs: single rental accommodation for $375 is non-existent in Vancouver.
* Minimum wage does not pay rent.
It is shameful that thousands in our province are homeless and dying in our streets, parks and alleys and that many more are one step away from homelessness. The problem affects more people than those with mental health and addiction issues. The lack of affordable housing impacts seniors, youth and low-income workers. Immediate action is needed.
What is needed?
Instead of continuing to depend on “market forces” to solve housing concerns, all levels of government must take action to build housing.
· A permanent, national social housing program.
· A comprehensive, provincial housing program that works with municipalities and communities to build affordable housing for people at all income levels.
· Public land for non-market housing – no sale of public land to private interests.
· Improved access to social assistance, increased welfare rates and a higher minimum wage.
Both the federal and provincial governments have budget surpluses. Construction of homes for all can start now. There is no excuse for delay.
For STAND materials contact : CALMhousing@hotmail.com
For STAND locations: http://www.my-calm.info/