DBSA e-Update Newsletter – February 2008
Welcome to the February 2008 edition of DBSA’s e-Update! If you have any feedback for us, please e-mail discuss@DBSAlliance.org. Thanks for reading … and feel free to forward to a friend!
Announcing the DBSA 2008 National Conference
Tap into the power of peers this September 10-14 in Norfolk, Virginia, as DBSA presents a conference of compelling educational institutes, breakout sessions and an unprecedented lineup of renowned keynote speakers:
- Kay Redfield Jamison, PhD, professor of psychiatry at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and author of The Unquiet Mind and Touched with Fire
- Pat Deegan, PhD, leader in the consumer/survivor movement and co-founder of the National Empowerment Center, Inc., and Boston University’s Institute for the Study of Human Resilience
- and co-keynote speakers, Richard M. Cohen, award-winning author and Larry Fricks, featured in Cohen’s latest book, Strong at the Broken Places, and inter nationally known for his work designing the first Medicaid-billable certified peer specialist program in the U.S.
To be held at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, the conference promises an empowering weekend in the charming waterfront city of Norfolk! Called a “cultural center of note” by The New York Times, Norfolk offers world-class museums, galleries, performing arts as well as the sandy beaches of Chesapeake Bay. For the latest details and/or to register,
Reaching More People: DBSA Partners with Meetup.com
In an effort to reach out to the hundreds of other support groups available to those living with mood disorders, DBSA has teamed up with Meetup.com’s new service, Meetup Alliance, to form the Depression and Bipolar Meetup Alliance, www.MeetupAlliance.com/DBSA. Our hope is that this Alliance will serve as a central location for all affiliated DBSA chapters and unaffiliated groups to come together, access resources, share best practices and support one another. Local groups that participate will get to share tips and best practices to make their local groups more effective by sharing resources on our Meetup Alliance web page or by utilizing the Meetup.com group listserv. Click here to learn more about the Depression and Bipolar Meetup Alliance and register your group.
Save the Date
- February 27, 2008: DBSA Author Chat, Bipolar and Pregnant
- March 26, 2008: DBSA Recovery Chat, “Relationships and Mood Disorders”
- March 28, 2008: Menninger Continuing Education Conference, Borderline Personality Disorder: New Clinical Approaches
- April 8, 2008: DBSA Peer Specialist CE Webinar, “Peer-Led Health Self-Management”
- September 10-14, 2008: DBSA 2008 National Conference
- November 8, 2008: 3rd Annual Rebecca’s Dream Gala